Some of you may have heard of the Spartan Race series, and if you have you’ll know that it’s a series of obstacle races designed for those who enjoy testing their limits in both endurance and strength. Consisting of races varied between 3+ and 12+ miles, each race involves water, mud, and signature obstacle challenges. Not quite what we’re used to, compared to our Saturday morning trail runs, but the Spartan team must think that the members of WOOT are up for the challenge, because they specifically reached out to us with an invitation to try one of their events.
Since all of the Spartan races are held in the States, this post will mostly appeal to our Stateside members (and friends), although many of us here in Okinawa travel back to the States fairly often and some of us (no need to mention names) have been known to plan their travel around races. Getting back to the Spartan series, there are several races coming up in the next few months, including:
- Malibu Sprint – December 6th (3+ miles 15+ obstacles)
- SoCal Beast – January 17th (12+ miles 25+ obstacles)
- SoCal Sprint – January 18th (3+ miles 15+ obstacles)
- SoCal Super – January 24th (8+ miles 20+ obstacles)
- SoCal Sprint – January 25th (3+ miles 15+ obstacles)
- Arizona Sprint – February 7th (3+ miles 15+ obstacles)
- Tampa Sprint (Stadium) – February 14th (3+ miles 15+ obstacles)
- Hawaii Aloha Sprint (Stadium) – March 15th (3+ miles 15+ obstacles)
- Charlotte Sprint – April 11th (3+ miles 15+ obstacles)
- Las Vegas Super – April 18th (8+ miles 20+ obstacles)
Spartan races are not for everyone, but they are for those who have an adventurous spirit and a strong desire to push past “normal” boundaries. And for outdoor and adventure enthusiasts, they’re sure to please.
For more information on upcoming races, as well as daily Spartan workouts (and nutrition tips) to help you train for a Spartan race, visit the Spartan website. Also, as an incentive to draw out the inner spartan in you, Spartan has given us the following code to use for a free race: BOP70962971 - this code will work one time for any open heat (non-confirmed start time) in any Spartan Race in the continental US. In addition, the code SPARTANBLOGGER can be used for 10% off any race.
– Reebok Spartan Race, voted Outside Magazine’s Best Obstacle Race in 2012